In an international discussion, the emergent understanding of the building and the city as ecological systems has raised the question of their interaction. In which ways does a "green building" contribute to the ecology of its surroundings? And how can ecologically designed urban districts, with their green and blue networks, link up with the elements and technologies of building design? These are questions of concept, planning, design, and not least experience. All these dimensions of "green building" are covered in the lecture, based on discussion and studies on most recent and innovative Dense+Green Cities in Asia, the Americas, and Europe.
The lecture and the panel discussion were in English.
Lecture: Dense+Green Cities: Architecture as Urban Ecosystem
Prof Dr Thomas Schroepfer
Professor and Founding Associate Head of Pillar / Architecture and Sustainable Design
Singapore University of Technology and Design
Read more about Prof Dr Thomas Schroepfer
- Mari Siivola, Head of Master Planning, City of Vantaa
- Willem van Bolderen, architect, Studio Puisto, Helsinki
- Pia Fricker, Professor for Computational Methodologies in Landscape Architecture and Urbanism, Aalto University
- Toni Kotnik, Professor of Design of Structures, Aalto University
- Maria Jaakkola, Manager of Urban Space and Networks, City of Helsinki
Watch the recording
The event was co-organized by Aalto EE, Aalto Living+ Platform and Department of Architecture, Aalto University. Studia generalia Tähtiluento was a part of YTK:n Pitkä kurssi, contininuing professional training program for experts in the field of urban planning.
Read more about YTK:n Pitkä kurssi.